Al-Tarf

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Home Alone

Salaam,

Hope everone is well inshaAllah,

I' ve just come back from Sylhet airport after seeing off my sr - she'd come with me for the first two weeks to show me around and introduce me to people but now that this time is up, she's off back back to the UK leaving poor Farouk All Alone in Bangladesh...now the real fun can begin, lol.

I think i said a few posts ago that the plan for the nect couple of days was to go to Dhaka and then Coxs bazaar, but unfortunately that has been put on hold for now, but yesterday a relative took me to the northern parts of Bangladesh which was pretty good. During the drive there, we could see in the distance the indian border which is basically a large moutain terrain which continues to encompass the himalayas, so that was a pretty amazing view.

Our destination was what i can only describe as Bangladesh's attempt at a national park. Before i could get in though "it" started again. At the entrance the 4 other people with me were let in after paying there 5p fee, however with me it was not as easy. To cut it short it took a good few minutes for me and my relatives to convince the guards that i Was actually bengali and so i did not have to pay 100 takas instead of 5 and i did not have to fill out the extra forms and stuff which non bengalis have to do... After having finally got in, Alhamdulilla i found the park to be very picturesque and a world away from the hustle and bustle of the bazaars. The showpiece of the park was a 40ft+ waterfall right at the far end of the park which was a pretty amazing sight for me, but even more so i think for the bangladeshis there as i dont think there are many in Bd.
The area which you have to drive past (beaani bazaar) and the park itself had quite contrasting landscapes compared to what i had so far seen of Bd; the area i live in is flat as a pancake, whereas here it was quite hilly, with lots of little rivers and valleys which was quite nice.

On the way back we went to Srimangle which is famous for its huge tea gardens, so we went through some of them, which again was quite a nice contast to the normal bazaar sights/sounds. One strange thing about the tea gardens was that the area they were on seemed to have lots and lots of artificial little hills/mounds from which my first thought was "this looks like the background in the telletubbies"...but my relatives assured me that these were natural, so fair enough.

Anyway, now that my sr has flown back, im not really sure what the plan for the remainder of my time here is. I think its basically what i make of it, so we'll see what happens inshaAllah.

Salaam

1 Comments:

  • salaam dawg wot up? get a life will ya. chill out man ur on holiday u dont need to analyse scrutinise and evaluate everything. just stand in awe and appreciate it.

    Nurul.

    ps. holla me dawg. if u've forgotton my number its 07946646554

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home