Al-Tarf

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Hujjaj Flu and Exams

Salaam,

There's freshers flu and now to my detriment I've realised there's the hujjaj flu. Usually at the beginning of every yr at uni, most people fall ill due all the students coming from all the various parts of the world, bringing with them their local germs, and as they're all suddenly together in confined spaces, illnesses spread and spread havoc. Or there's the other reason for freshers flu which we wont go into. I've now found out that a similar thing is present with the hujjaj- one of the downsides of all the hujjaj coming back is that they've brought sooo many diseases and random stuff back with them and everyone is falling ill, including the big man (sheikh Nuh) who's been out of action for a week or so.

Alhamdulilla i think i got off pretty lightly apart from Saturday when i was confined to my bedroom. All bar one of my flatmates has been ill now with one of them out of it for a good week so our flat has been resembling something of a warzone the past week or so with ill people wandering around like zombies knocking into walls ands such like.

Anyway i was readin the other day about how an Iranian newspaper has offered a gold coin each to the top 12 artists who can come up with sartirical cartoons about the holocaust...should be interesting to the wests reaction to that....one thing which annoys me, as with most Muslims i think, is how the "West" has double standards for Everything it says, and now with this "freedom of speech" issue we'll see how they deal with what this Iranian newspaper are doing..

Wrt to studies, as they say, doesn't time fly when ur having *fun*...I've just had my mid term exams which alh went pretty well..But rather than being worried about the exams themselves i was more surprised to know that potentially half my time in Jordan had whisked by already.. subhanallah its gone by really quickly. But then i see in front of me the 4 1/2 months left and i realise how long the journey is. So a quarter of my total time is up and what have i done...? How far along am i on achieving my goals that i so recently set myself...?

Well wrt the Arabic I'll soon find out with the result of my exams...in terms of grammar i think iv learnt a huuuuuge amount. They say that a term here (3 months) is probably equivalent to a years worth of studying Arabic at university and i can see why. in terms of speaking iv realised that at the crux of it is plain, borig memorisation of words . And ecause i was enrolling onto level 2 i had to learn the 1300 words (give or take a few) taught in level 1 and all the new words i was learning i level 2...so a lot of words per day. But Alh its gone pretty well and i think iv covered a good 60-70% of the words from level 1 as well my new words for this level. On top of that iv been using another book to learn vocab specific to the quran and have learnt 100 or so words from that...phew! a lot of words! But just learning the words aint the main task, its putting them into use because otherwise All the hard work in memorising them vanishes. But to be honest im learning some pretty useless words - for example the current topic im doing is about medicine so the new words to be memorised included Attahoon - plague, Judhariyy - smallpox and Shullali athifl - infant paralysis...! I mean how often am i going to be using these words...??! So I've started to be selective in what I'm memorising as i feel im wasting a "space" in my my head learning not very useful words which should be "saved" for something else...

Anyway, on another topic - yesterday i heard a pretty amazing story about an American soldier who came to Amman from Baghdad yesterday to convert...will give more info later today or tomorrow inshaAllah.

Salaam
Ps, Happy Valentine's day...! (Fugly...)
Pps, For my Wahhabi, Salafi extremist readership out there - I'm joking...(some interesting topics at the bottom of the page too...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home