Al-Tarf

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Museum Day

Salaam,


Today was quite a busy/tiring day as I had lots of little things to do as well as visiting the three main museums in Cairo

I've ended up with quite a few books, much more than the Miserly 20kg I'm allowed to fly with, so I've arranged with our Salafi brothers at Dar Us-Salaam to ship them to the UK at 2pounds fifty per kilo which actually isn't that bad since the books are considerably cheaper in Cairo than in London

Re museums, first I went to the main archeological museum where they keep all the main ancient Egyptian finds including the famous mask of Tutankhamen. I wasn't overly thrilled at going again as I visited the museum two years ago when I was here last, but thought I would anyway as it was on the way to the other museums plus it only cost 2 pounds to get it in. Two years ago they allowed photography in the museum, but they've banned this now so unfortunately no photo's for you guys.

Next it was across the Nile to Zamalek and to the Islamic Ceramics Museum. The pieces inside were all very nice but the thing which stood out most for me was the building itself. It was a 19thC converted villa I think which had a gorgeous interior and flooring. Most of the rooms had beautiful iznik tilings on the walls upto about waist height and then above this including the ceiling it was all covered with very intricate carvings of floral designs and calligraphy. This was in addition to the very serene and delicate marble flooring throughout. The whole thing just looked Amazing. But again, photography was not allowed.

Downstairs and outside in the garden they also had some "modern" art pieces (yes, twisted bits of metal, paintings which look like they were done by a 5yr old etc etc), but it was all interesting none the less.

With my interest in "modern" art aroused, I headed across Zamalek to the National Modern Art Museum to see some pieces done by the best Arab artists. This time the building itself was pretty new, but inside it had very classic middle-features and was pretty extensive and broad in terms of the pieces it had. The Museum was set in the middle of a large complex which also hosted the National Opera Theatre so I went across and checked that out too.

So yes, it's been quite a tiring day. Anyway the plan for tomorrow is a lot more relaxed inshaAllah. Firstly I need to go to Dar Us-Salaam and drop my books off. Then I was just planning on going to Islamic Cairo and staying in the main mosques for most of the day. Might also re-visit Azhar park in the evening or take a felucca trip on the Nile, don't know yet.


Anyway, hope all of you are well, and those of you who are doing/about to do exams are coping OK,

Salaam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home