Al-Tarf

Sunday, June 04, 2006

R.I.P Camera

Salaams,


Got back last night from Mersa Matrouh where I had an Amazing time, alhamdulilla. It was a world away from the noise, dirt, pollution and general mayhem of Cairo. I think I went at the perfect time too as it was just before their peak season so the town as a whole was pretty quiet (and in some tourist locations, eerily quiet). But the town itself was pretty nice as the layout was planned by the British (seriously) so the roads are nice and wide, there's not too many flats etc.

But the highlight was the beaches. The main beach, Matruh people say isn't that nice, but I thought it was beautiful, compared to Alexandria anyway. The sand was white and clean, it wasn't crowded at all and the sea! the sea!! beautiful turquoise water... it was like being on a tropical island. But it got even better when I went down the coast to "ageeba" beach (I think this translates to Amazing which it was). Subhanallah.

Got shown around by the family of someone I know so alhamdulilla it was a very nice 3 days. Also ate some very nice food - since the town is on the coast there's an abundance of fish, and since I'm Bengali I didn't really complain about this. I also ended up eating squid which was very nice, if a bit rubbery. Often though I find that the simple things in life are the best,a and this was the case with food here when I got invited to someones house and ate home made felafals, bread, hummous etc. Lazeez.

But the bad news. The VERY bad news. My camera seems to have died on me. Thankfully I had taken all my pictures in Matruh, but on the coach I switched it on to look at the pictures and it came on for a bit, but then just blanked out. I thought it was due to the batteries, but back in Cairo with fully charged batteries it's still not working. So unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to put up photos of Alex and Matruh until I get back to the UK and get my camera fixed (and who knows how long that will take?). Also it means I'm camera-less for Morocco and Spain which isn't good news. Looking on the bright side, I guess this is the best time for this to happen with only a week until I return back to the UK and for Morocco and Spain I'm sure a few disposable cameras will suffice.

Anyway my flight to Morocco is tomorrow morning so today is my last day in Cairo...It's been fun but I think I was reaching breaking point with living in Cairo so it's all worked out well Alhamdulilla.


Until next time...


Salaam

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home