Al-Tarf

Friday, July 21, 2006

Richard Madeley

Salaams,

Well my first "week" at work is over an it went pretty well. No real work really took place - it won't for another good 6 weeks as this period has been dedicated to training. Thursday and today was mainly spent in the auditorium whilst talks such as "diversity in the workplace" and "how to deal with change" were given...

Although the talks sound pretty boring, I actually found them useful. Thursday was a big day for me as it officially signaled the end of my freedom and student life and the beginning of work. Also the fact that I now officially live in London rather than Burnley is a big thing for me too. Plus moving away from family/friends for the foreseeable future...All this has proved to be a big change and a lot of the things mentioned in this talk helped. The analysis she used for dealing with change was what is used for dealing with any other grievance - first going through the denial phase, then resistance, then acceptance and finally commitment, and regarding my change, I think it's true...

Anyway today is my birthday (yay...!). I kind of knew it would happen (they always find out...) but at the beginning of the day the trainer randomly asked who's birthday was coming up and then who's birthday it was and when I reluctantly put my hand up, everyone proceeded to sing "Happy Birthday" to me...It was OK though as it saved me the bother of introducing myself to the 106 other new starters...(I hate the networking events they hold where it's like freshers week as you go round asking people the same questions (name/division etc) and then forget this 5 secs later...). So yes, there's 107 people starting with me in the Capital Markets division coming from 20+ countries. That's one thing I like working in this industry; the diverse nature of the people you get to meet. There's a few Muslims too (2 Lebanese guys, 1 Syrian, 1 Tunisian, 1 Lebanese/French girl and 1 Moroccan girl) but the job now is to get them to act like Muslims...

Although the next few weeks is only 9am-5pm, it's gonna be pretty tough as every Monday we'll have an exam on what we got taught the previous week. After a month of this we have one week of lectures for our FSA (Financial Services Authority) exam which is supposed to be pretty hardcore...so there was me thinking I had done my last exam...

In other news I forgot to mention, on my first day in London when I went to the Leicester Square cinema there was a movie premier going on at the same time (The red carpet and lots of people screaming and taking photos gave it away...I think the film was StormBreakers or something). Anyway I got to see Ewan McGregor, Alicia Silverstone and The One, The Only of Richard Madeley "Richard and Judy" fame...aren't I lucky...?

Hope everyone is well,

Salaams.

2 Comments:

  • Salaams bro,

    Faisal M here. Good to hear you're back alhamdullilah. Hope your travels served you well.

    Hope work is going well and that London is growing on you somewhat.

    Been lovin the blog. Is pukka.

    Insha'Allah catch you soon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 PM  

  • Faisal...!!

    Good to hear off you man!

    Last few weeks have been pretty hectic with getting back to the UK, moving to London, the new job etc etc...and the next few weeks don't look any easier with lots of exams coming up and Still looking for a place to move in with Fugly etc

    London is...Ok...lol

    But yeah, we need to hook up soon iA. Let me know if you're ever in central and we'll do something iA

    Salaam

    By Blogger Me, at 7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home