Al-Tarf

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Southwark or Suthark...?

Salaams,

It feels like yesterday i was setting out on my travels and cursing the fact I will start work in 6 months time...and now I face the prospect of starting work tomorrow...

Time flies. It really does, and at times like this you feel the brunt of it. To be honest I'm still not looking forward to work, but I suppose it's just something you have to face. I've worked in the company for the last two summers and it's actually OK so I'm sure after a few days I'll be back in the swing of things.

Since I start work tomorrow, I'm sure you'll have guessed that I'm now in London. I don't like London. It's so busy, smelly, dirty, loud, polluted...all the things about a city that puts you off basically. And the last few days have been BOILING with temperatures above 35c...and it feels a hell of a lot hotter in the tube and on the buses.

Anyway I got to London on Sunday night and have settled in my temporary accommodation in Southwark. How did you pronounce this...? South-Waark or Suthark...??? Well, to my loss I found out its Suthark. On Sunday night I went to eat with Fugly on Edgeware Rd and got back too late and so the tube had stopped running. I told the guy I needed to get to Southwark to which he said to take the bus to Paddington and then take the train. So I did this. At Paddington I asked the guy for the train to Southwark and he told me platform 9. At platform 9 I asked the guy if this train went to Southwark, he said yes, so I boarded it.

After a few minutes on the train though I thought it all looked a bit dodge, so I started asking the passengers about Southwark to which many replied they had never heard of it. So at the first stop I got off and asked the driver; he said he'd never heard of Southwark and to decide ASAP if wanted to get on the train or not. I decided no. So then I explained my situation to the guy at that station who explained it all to me; all the people I had asked thought I had said southHALL and South-Waark is pronounced Suthark....!! ARGRGRGRGRHHHH!!! My northern accent...!!

So it was 1am, my first night in London and I was stuck in the middle of nowhere. It wasn't as bad as it could have been though as I had to wait only 15 mins to get the train back to Paddington and then get two buses to Suthark and eventually got back home at 2:15am...

The area I'm living in at the moment is quite nice though. It's in the arty area of London and is located just behind the London Eye (I have a fab view of this from my room), and there are lots of other art galleries/museums etc in the area. This is only for 3 weeks though (inshaAllah...) before I move in with some friends from Cam.

Anyway please do dua my job goes OK from tomorrow...

Salaam,
Ps, also do dua for Fugly and his exams...it looks like groundhog day unfortunately...

1 Comments:

  • Salaam- inshaAllah khair, hope your first day goes awesome! And the rest of the time at your job, as well...

    I HEART LONDON :)

    By Blogger bushraaa, at 5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home